I am participating in two group reading challenges this year.
My yahoo reading group Mostlygroups always has a monthly challenge. This Jan. I read Dubliners’ by Joyce for our classic month. Next up I need to pick a “chunkster” for the month of Feb. Something over 600 pages.
The other group challenge I am participating in is a themed challege hosted by www.caribousmom.com.
1. Books should be chosen from the reader’s TBR pile (this may be an actual physical pile or a virtual pile). The challenge will from February 1, 2009 – July 31, 2009.
2. The goal is to read 4 to 6 books linked by theme.
3. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed.
4. Readers may change their list of books at any time.
5. Readers may choose three different levels of participation:
– Read at least 4 books with the same theme.
– Read at least 5 books that share at least TWO themes.
– Read at least 6 books that share MORE than two themes.
I picked option one but I may try for option 2, read 5 books with two themes since I have three shared themes already.
I am reading 4 Buddhist books in a few short months. All books are from my TBR pile and are written by Tibetan monks who have in one way or another affected me in a very personal way.
My list includes:
A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night by The Dalai Lama
The Art of Happiness at work by The Dalai Lama
Destructive Emotions by The Dalai Lama (this could be my Feb chunkster!)
Ego, Attachment and Liberation by Lama Yeshe
Between these two challenges, my TBR challenge and school starting up again, I may be reading 24/7.